Title: Program Manager
Location: San Jose
Travel Required: Occasional Day Trips, Occasionally Overnight, Mostly Within California
Level / Salary Range: $82,024 – $110,000
Position Type: Full-Time Exempt
The Program Manager vacancy will remain opened through December 4, 2020. Please submit your application and resume before this deadline. Thank you for your interest.
Under the general direction of the Executive Director, this position is responsible for providing moderate level services to SCCSIG member districts in the following areas; risk & benefits analysis, effectiveness of Wellness programs relative to budget spend, liability management, risk transfer mechanisms, and some safety, loss control and prevention. Utilizing expertise in these areas and having a general knowledge of insurance and coverage issues, the Manager will assist members in identification of exposures, program monitoring interventions, coverage determinations, contract review/design, and development and delivery of services and programs, all designed to mitigate risks for members and their students, staff and the public. In tandem with the senior management team, this position will be required to work with third party administrators and SCCSIG partners overseeing the implementation of a comprehensive plan designed to reduce liability, risks and losses both for individual members and for the SCCSIG pool.
Benefits & Risk Services Consulting
- Generate information and guidance on liability, loss control and risk management services to members that are specific to school operations;
- Review contracts upon request on insurance and indemnification provisions;
- Provide guidance on general inquiries regarding employee benefits, property/liability and workers’ compensation coverages;
- Align Wellness programs to ensure optimal cost controls are in place to mitigate benefits loss ratios leading to favorable program renewals;
- Support and co-manage on-line benefits administration system;
- Assist members in implementing risk control strategies as identified by leveraging technology and reporting platforms;
- Analyze member losses/trends and develop action plan to address root causes;
- Research all federal, state and local applicable laws and regulatory requirements (Cal-OSHA, EPA, California Educational Code) and provide guidance to members;
- Develop platform for use as a Risk Alert for inclusion in SCCISG newsletters;
- Communicate to members on SCCSIG’s training services and programs.
Delivery of Risk Control Services
- Work with the Senior Principal of Member Services, in consultation with SCCSIG members, to determine the most appropriate means for reducing losses and assign appropriate resources necessary to insure efficient delivery of services;
- Coordinate the delivery of specialized employee benefits and risk control services, by outside vendors, to meet member needs;
- Review and follow up on all contact services to insure quality, timeliness and customer satisfaction;
- Maintain data base on exposure and claims data for benefits, property/liability and workers’ compensation members;
- Implement and monitor all SCCSIG programs: including supporting ergonomic evaluations and safety training;
- Conduct analysis of member’s workers’ compensation and property and liability claims, losses and accident histories in order to recommend appropriate risk management programs.
- Assist and support accounting functions to ensure timely administration of benefits, property & liability claims and related finances
- Support and perform Payroll services as needed
- Communications and Customer Service
- Provide prompt and courteous responses to member requests via phone, email or other direct communication;
- Work with and support other SCCSIG staff as needed to provide program services including ergonomic evaluations as needed;
- Assist with reports to management as may be needed;
- Participate in risk control staff development activities, conferences, training and certification;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to stand, sit, squat, bend, kneel and twist on an occasional basis. Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis. Must be able to use a keyboard and view data on a screen on a daily basis;
- Must have a valid California Driver’s License with excellent driving record.
Skills & Qualifications
To perform successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The knowledge and ability requirements are representative of essential duties. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Any combination of experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying.
Seven (7) years of increasingly responsible experience in school benefits, payroll, loss control analysis, risk management programs and assessments/inspections preferably in a JPA/school district environment.
Equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree or specialized employee benefits and risk management experience. Experience with public entities, insurance, risk management or risk pooling is also desirable. Possession or working towards ARM, CSRM, CSP and/or ALCM (Associate in Risk Management, Certified School Risk Manager and Certified Safety Professional and Associate in Loss Control Management), is also desirable.